Grain filling with epoxy

mardi 29 décembre 2015

Hi all

I have a jarrah slab about 1200mm x 450mm which I have planed then sanded flat. Well I thought I had!
I filled the grain with timbermate (jarrah) and then sanded the grain filler off when dry. What I got was very noticeable large sweeping swirls which run the width of the slab. These swirls filled up with the grain filler and looked awful.
I have sanded and sanded for what seems like eternity and the will not go away. I have sanded enough to get rid of the grain filler though.
I was thinking of maybe using epoxy as a grain filler. As I have never tried this before I have a few questions.

Can you do it? (important question)
Can I use an oil finish over it. (I planned on an oil finish for this as it will not be getting much use)
Will the swirls still be noticable? ( probably a hard question to answer)

Here is a photo I took of the piece which I just sprayed with a bit of water. The water has dried a bit in places which makes it look splotchy but you can see part of the swirls in one corner. It was hard to get a lot of the swirling in the photo as you need to get the lighting right to actually see them accross the whole slab.
Attached Images


Grain filling with epoxy

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor