Recycling at its best

mercredi 30 décembre 2015

Ok, I'll start by apologizing as I know its near on impossible to pick timber types from photos, especially when its only grain etc to go by, but I was hoping with a little background info it may lend itself to an answer.

I am currently demolishing the back half of a heritage listed home in Mont Albert. Lovely looking old home. We have found newspapers in a couple of the walls that say the previous renovation happened in 1994, but I suspect the house was built in the 40's or 50's. Most of the frame is OB with some oregon dotted around the place. Horse hair plaster, with some larthen plaster about as well (I like getting dusty/dirty in 40oC days)....

The old outhouse was still original. The easiest way to tell this was the AC sheeting. Safely removed by the pros, onto the demo. I pulled up some of the floorboards, and they looked to be a deep red timber, very dense. I suspect redgum, but I've never heard of redgum being used for flooring. It is all tongue and groove, about 85mm boards (though in those days I guess it would have been 3 inches). I guess it could also be jarrah, but I didn't think it would have been viable for it to be shipped in from WA in those days. The rest of the house has baltic pine floorboards so I can't really go by any of that.
20151230_183915.jpg
Anyways, I took the few I could salvage home, gave them a spin on the jointer and would love to hear other peoples opinions on what they could be???


(metho to help with the grain)
20151230_184043.jpg20151230_184030.jpg
I also managed to save a few of the skirting boards (we kept a few in case we need to do some patching elsewhere in the house, but if they aren't used, I'll nab them as well) which appear to be Red Cedar. Maybe I'll get into some box making, or find someone with a use for it.
20151230_184120.jpg20151230_183923.jpg
Just thought I'd share. Keeping my eye open for any other gems

Cheers

Gab
Attached Images


Recycling at its best

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor