How To Improve My Technique

lundi 28 décembre 2015

I seem to have a hopeless technique for cutting simple joints - for cutting anything.

I need some help, some guidance.

Here are five shelves 450mm I've made. The corners are cut out to take 40mm x 20mm timber routed out 10mm.

Very simple. Cut the shelves with my power saw using a guide.
Cut the corners out marking out carefully and then using a jigsaw. I don't have anything else for the job - except a hand saw. I don't have a table saw.

From these photos you can see I don't even have the shelves perfect. But they are not too bad.

But the cut outs are hopeless. They are all over the place. I don't even know how I can fix them. I can put a sander on them perhaps. Keep them together in a block like in the photo and sand till all equal. Or use a rasp across there. In the old days it would have had to have been a chisel job I guess. Perhaps I should go back to that.

I find it hard to see, bending over the jigsaw, my glasses slip down my nose, the shadows make seeing hard - but that's the only way to do it, isn't it? Can't use a guide, I've found that out.

The saw cut will wander if driven along a guide. Googled and found that's commonplace apparently with jigsaws. Though maybe not with such a small cut.

What would real woodworkers advise me to do about doing such jobs from scratch and fixing this job? And give up isn't an option. :)

DSCF7602 (Small).JPGDSCF7610 (Small).JPGDSCF7607 (Small).JPG
Attached Images


How To Improve My Technique

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor