Filling knots in Oak flooring

dimanche 15 novembre 2015

Hi all

I've recently laid some Oak flooring at our house and I'm looking for advice on filling some large knot holes.

We've laid about 50 sq mtrs all of which is over concrete. We've gone with a very rustic grade timber, partly because of price but mostly because we wanted the knotty look. I do need to fill the knots but we want to keep them as a feature of the timber. The knots are up to a few centimeters in diameter and there are lots of them - hence I need a cost effective solution.

The floors will be stained (fairly dark) and oiled afterward, not polyurethaned.

I've heard some ideas about using coffee grinds (I can generate as much of that as required). I also have more Oak sawdust than you can shake a stick at. I've done a few searches on this forum but I'm still a bit confused. Some seem to suggest epoxy, which will go very hard, but is rather inflexible. Will that be a problem with expansion/contraction over the seasons? Or maybe the timber won't move very much anyway as it's glued to the concrete base. Also, if I have to do the whole floor using those little two part epoxy tubes from Bunnings then it will get very expensive.

There seem to be a variety of wood filler products on the market, but are any of these hard enough to handle being walked over every day?


Thanks


Filling knots in Oak flooring

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor