Thoughts on Vintage Combination Square Purchase

samedi 26 septembre 2015

I have a really cheap combination square, and it's begun to fall apart. It's made of plastic in part, and it just isn't really up to snuff in most ways.

I'd like to replace it with a quality version of itself, but I'm not going to pay the prices for a new Starrett off the shelf.

Given my understanding of how a combination square locks itself in place, with a screw that essentially presses the straight edge up against a reference surface, I am making two assumptions:

1.) It would be quite difficult to get it out of square if it were a quality tool, but

2.) Once out of square, it would be near impossible to correct

Is there much truth to either of those? Would anyone with more experience care to elaborate on either point?

Although a new Starrett is out of my price range, there are plenty of them popping up on The Tool Exchange and also Jim Bode Tools for very reasonable prices. I'm pretty skeptical about getting a precision square without being able to test it though. Does anyone have any experience buying a used, high quality combination square?

I frequent a vintage tool dealer who occasionally will have a Rabone for twenty bucks or less. I have often thought about taking a board and marking knife down there to just test one in person.

Any feedback appreciated.

Cheers,
Luke


0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor