Laminating inner and outer stems - Trap for young players?

dimanche 27 septembre 2015

Well I actually started my Canoe, had all the strips for the bow and stern stems ready, test bent, clamping sequence etc. Due to a limitation of the number of clamps could only do one end at a time. Probably a good thing....
in the picture it shows the stems on the form, with enough clamps to hold it in place, two people made the job much easier, no breakages in the strips during bending and no steaming needed. looked like I was on a winner....

Glued the first pair up using Titebond 3 (this was probably my downfall?) Temperature was well above the chalking point, left clamped for 48hrs. On removal from the form, both stems sprang away from the form by as much as 3/4" at one end.
Question is this, would epoxy have prevented this happening? - the force to initially hold the laminates in place dry was not huge, I could grab the clamp hole and squeeze them in with hand force only. I even left the strips clamped in place dry for several days prior to removing and then glue up.

I'm not taking chances with the next lot and will use epoxy (after making another set of strips of course).
Its just a bit frustrating as you would imagine.

Roy.
Attached Images


0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor