Dedicated Paring Chisels - Any Experience?

dimanche 30 août 2015

After recent having been "shown the light" with regards to the use of dedicated paring chisels, I'm seriously considering getting a few. Maybe 4-6 of them.

It looks like I have three options.

Blue Spruce: These are the Rols Royce it seems. Boutique company, high end handle timber, extreme attention to detail, etc etc. All that. Super expensive.

Robert Sorby: These come from CarbaTec, and it appears that they may be phasing them out, or at least certain sizes. I'm a bit reluctant to get these because I hate the handles and will end up knocking them off and replacing them, thus spending a bit of money on nothing.

Narex: It looks like Lee Valley has commissioned them to make a set of chisels specifically for them. I like these for a couple of reasons, namely they are extremely cheap so scrapping the handles isn't a drama, and they also don't appear to have any branding on them, which I appreciate. They claim to be made of a "silicon chrome" steel. Anyone care to comment on that? Metallurgy isn't my forte and as soon as you say anything other than High Speed or High Carbon I go into "deer in headlights" mode.

I know there are some good paring chisels on the vintage market, but I am not having any luck finding them. I'd appreciate any leads on that kind of thing as well.

So if anyone has any kind of feedback on what they use, or what they have used, then I'd be interested to hear it.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers,
Luke


0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor