Fright Today !

mercredi 26 novembre 2014

Hi Guys,



Got a bit of a fright earlier today !

I was tightening the gib locking screws on my cheap Chinese mill. Some time ago I replaced the original locking screws, the ones with a lever that you can push in and turn to a different angle, with M6 allen grub screws, because the handles conflicted with the DRO scale that I fitted.



Mill_key1.jpg Mill_key4.jpg



You can see here how there is very little room under the X axis scales.



Mill_key2.jpg



Anyway in order to reach the grub screws I made an extension handle with a sawn off piece of hex key soldered into a hole in the end of a "T" handle.



Mill_key3.jpg



This is a close up of the business end of the "T" handle.



I was tightening one of the grub screws when there was a quite loud "pop" and the grub screw suddenly seemed to turn more than normal ! I must admit that my first thought was "bugger" the gib strip has broken, split where the grub screw presses on to it. then panic started when I couldn't unscrew the grub screw.



It took several moments before I discovered that the bit of hex in the end of the "T" bar was no longer firmly silver soldered into the end of it. :no:



Conclusion: My silver soldering is rubbish ! The bit of hex simply pulled out of the end showing that it was only secured around the top of the hole. I've now made sure that it is tinned all the way to the end and down into the hole then re-soldered it. :no:


Attached Images






0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor