tail vise .... it seemed a good idea at the time!

samedi 29 novembre 2014

I have always admired Terry Gordon's creations. it is easy to see that they are designs from a man who is an excellent woodworker himself and knows what is needed.

So, on a recent visit, I bought one of his beautiful tail vises. When i am that far from home, it doesn't worry me that it won't fit!

So, in a rare outbreak of reality, I thought I'd better work out today how to fit it OR i might be forced to take it back.

The problem is that I already have a tail rise ... of sorts....and it already has 3 (!) dogs to line up with existing lines of dog holes



tailvise01.jpg



I thought that maybe I could cut a big hole in the vise jaws lining up with the front row of dog holes and allowing the HNT vice knob to stick through



tailvise02.jpg



...but that would somewhat limit the usability of the existing tail rise. What I need was ANOTHER end to my bench on which to fit the tail rise.

So. I had no alternative but to make a NEW END....



tailvise03.jpg



...which started with a hole saw and quickly became an excuse to use my new plunge saw



tailvise04.jpg



....ending up with the cutout to take the vise body



tailvise05.jpg



Then the DREADED BIT! I picked up my router :C and rounded over the cutout.



tailvise07.jpg



I quickly turned the router off and counted my fingers .... yep, 91/2, just what I started with!

The next step is to rout the recess for the cover plate but I'm on family duty tomorrow so that may have to wait a few days.

fletty


Attached Images






0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor