Repace Table Saw Top?

dimanche 30 novembre 2014

Just looking for some thoughts.



I have an older Ryobi table saw however, it has not been used a lot due to small top, somewhat sloppy miter slots and crappy fence setup. Most times I have found that I revert back to timber or aluminum straight edges. Woodwork is not something I do each week or month.



As the saw can be raised and lowered and can cut angles it has the basics of a reasonable table. It is not worth much to sell and at present, with the amount woodwork that I do, I cannot justify spending $1000 or more on a new/second hand saw. Even if I did get a newer on,e I would still have to think about adding an outfeed table that could be raised and lowered as I need to keep the size down overall. Therefore I am considering replacing the aluminum top with a home build top. I know that the saw and its mechanism is fixed to the front underside of the aluminum top.



I have looked through this site and a a lot on the internet to pick up ideas on tops.



I am considering doing a table top, something like the outfeed table in the video here: http://ift.tt/1v9f9jk or



Something like in this video http://ift.tt/1vFDNqu - except not fixing to the existing top.



The concern I have is that when I have looked at mdf and ply at various stores, it is already bowed and way off being straight. I am worried that after gluing 2 pieces together it will not be flat and the whole thing end up being a waste of time. I have also considered Formply and the laminated bench tops at Bunnings. Are my concerns correct or is there some way in which I can fabricate to make sure things turn out flat?



I also understand that I will need to do some fabricating to establish a new mounting part to swing saw on new arrangement.



I have also read this thread with interest: http://ift.tt/1v9f9jq



regards




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor