Moreton Bay GIS

dimanche 30 novembre 2014

Hi All,



It looks as if I've started to build a Goat Island skiff. Bought plans a few weeks ago - cheap enough so it wouldn't be a disaster if I decided not to build. Then I was busy calculating the cost of all the fancy wood involved (fancy by my radiata pine standards), fighting the urge to think of the cheapest near-enough substitute, when I found myself in possession of 5 western red cedar planks, bought from a large hardware chain of all places. They were calling them "decking boards" (140x40mmx3.6m), and I looked through them to find some less knotty and straight ones. Way cheap compared to buying the real thing! They say they were green, but I think they've been sitting on the rack for so long they're pretty low moisture now. So I've ripped them up last week (none of the sawdust had any dampness to it) and I glued up the rudder last night, and will glue up the centreboard blank tonight. It seems to be weighing around 400-420kg/m3 if my calculations are correct, so that's not too bad. Very tight growth rings on most of it, but some small knots here and there.



I've always wanted to build a Jarcat 6, but I don't even have a yard to build it in at the moment, let alone a nice big shed. Though I can't complain because I'm just a stone's throw from the sea where I am. I've never owned a boat, or a sail boat, but I've been windsurfing for the last 5 years, so I figure I've got a few of the principles of sailing down, even if I don't know what they're called. And there are just too many nice days that go by that aren't windy enough for windsurfing, so I somehow happened upon the GIS on the net a while ago, and it all started to make sense. I'll finally be able to sail clear across to Moreton Island, which I think of doing every time I notice it sitting quietly on the horizon. All I have to do is kick a pesky car out of the garage, and I have my build space.





Cheers,

Peter




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor