Adventures in matte 2k paint.

dimanche 30 novembre 2014

Before I start anything here, if you intend to use 2 pack paint, do some reading and make sure you have the correct PPE which is a supplied air, full face respirator. It's nasty stuff and it's absorbed through your eyes as well as your lungs. Be safe!!!!



So I'm in the process of building my dream house and my dream kitchen. I love ply and am using it through the kitchen cabinets as well as the drawer fronts. I've been trying for ages to work out how to finish the drawer fronts and the carcasses (also ply). Previously I've always used poly on ply where I've wanted a hard wearing finish but it always makes things look a bit plasticky. It's also not great over other paint which is what I wanted for the kitchen drawer fronts.



I love 2pak paint, it sprays like a dream, dries quickly and is tough as nails. The big trouble is it's gloss level. It's very very glossy which is great if that's your thing but I've been on a mission to knock the gloss level down for a while now. I've tried sanding the clear coat with 500 and 800 (hard to get an even finish) I've tried the festool viles sanding pads (like a scotchbrite) in various grades which is better and easier to get even but still not perfect and things still look a bit plasticky.



I recently tried a new paint shop and got talking to a very knowledgable and enthusiastic bloke from Premier Automotive Paints in Malaga WA. I was explained what I was trying to achieve and he put this tin down on the counter.







Even at $100 a litre it was worth a shot because this finish has been driving me mental for a while.



I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. This is 3 coats of 2 pack clear over bare timber and spray putty, basecoat and 3 coats of clear for the colour on the front.















It is absolutely stunning. Perfectly matte and tough as nails.



It has a very very slight texture which is impossible to see in the pics but over the bare timber (sanded to 400 grit) it feels for all the world like you're touching raw timber. Even when I know that it's the texture of the paint I'm feeling, my brain says "raw timber". It's certainly something I'm going to be playing with more and more in my furniture building. It's a constant battle between finish and wear with any functional pieces like say a coffee table. Everyone wants to be able to put their coffee cup down and not have it stain, you want to be able to scrub dirt off it with a scourer but still want it to feel like natural wood. It's looking like with this product you can have both.




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor