Shed time has been a bit scrappy, of late, & I've been filling in what time is available with a few of those small projects that have been accumulating over the last couple of years. I bought the blades to make an OWT router a couple of years ago, & hadn't gotten round to making it for various reasons. One of those reasons was that I had visions of souping it up and adding a screw adjuster, & other unnecessary bits of bling. But in the end, I decided that the KISS principle has great merit - these things don't have to be complicated to do their job.
I thought I'd easily have it done before lunch, but mucking about with a couple of different ideas for body design wasted a bit of time (& drilling a couple of holes off-centre on a semi-completed body wasted more! :~). But here is my effort, and no-one gets a prize for spotting its pedigree: OWT1.jpg OWT2.jpg
I decided to just copy Derek Cohen's design, more or less. Imitation is sincere flattery, & even more to the point, Derek has already done the hard yards figuring out the dimensions & what works, so why fix what ain't broke? :; There are a couple of departures, I chose She-oak for the body, and I used a different arrangement for securing the blade: OWT3.jpg
I didn't have an eye-bolt, & didn't want to spend half a day trying to find one, so instead, I made this simple yoke system using a bit of 3/8" square brass and a couple of 5mm screws. The knobs were turned & knurled on my little metal lathe (could have made them a bit shorter, in retrospect). It was very easy to construct & I think it was simpler to fit than an eye-bolt. Holds very firmly - I tried it out on a trench in a bit of scrap and it did a grand job. Adjustments are easy, just ease off the knobs & give it a gentle tap.
Very happy with it - thanks Derek! :U
Cheers,
I thought I'd easily have it done before lunch, but mucking about with a couple of different ideas for body design wasted a bit of time (& drilling a couple of holes off-centre on a semi-completed body wasted more! :~). But here is my effort, and no-one gets a prize for spotting its pedigree: OWT1.jpg OWT2.jpg
I decided to just copy Derek Cohen's design, more or less. Imitation is sincere flattery, & even more to the point, Derek has already done the hard yards figuring out the dimensions & what works, so why fix what ain't broke? :; There are a couple of departures, I chose She-oak for the body, and I used a different arrangement for securing the blade: OWT3.jpg
I didn't have an eye-bolt, & didn't want to spend half a day trying to find one, so instead, I made this simple yoke system using a bit of 3/8" square brass and a couple of 5mm screws. The knobs were turned & knurled on my little metal lathe (could have made them a bit shorter, in retrospect). It was very easy to construct & I think it was simpler to fit than an eye-bolt. Holds very firmly - I tried it out on a trench in a bit of scrap and it did a grand job. Adjustments are easy, just ease off the knobs & give it a gentle tap.
Very happy with it - thanks Derek! :U
Cheers,
0 commentaires:
Enregistrer un commentaire