Hello from Brisbane

samedi 28 février 2015

Hi Everybody



I have never done any woodworking and am looking to undertake what I think would be a pretty simple woodworking task. I am hoping to get some advice on how I should go about it.



What I want to do is make a wooden handle for my coffee machine's portafilter. Basically I want to replicate what this person did. In fact I have the exact same coffee machine and handle. My plastic one broke after some years of use leaving me with just the metal part. The screw which holds the plastic handle on to the portafilter rusted out (otherwise the portafilter is fine) so buying the $20 replacement plastic handle was not an option and to replace the entire portafilter would be about $100.



I figured I could have a bit more fun and make a nice wooden handle for about that money.



What I have is a vice, hammer, chisel, handheld drill, angle grinder and orbital sander.



What I think I need is some wood, a knife, varnish and epoxy. Epoxy is easy enough but I don't know where I can get a nice piece of small wood ready to carve as a one off. The handle target size is roughly 130mm long and 45mm diameter, so I guess I need something quite a bit longer to make working it easier etc. Can anyone suggest how I can acquire that and what type of wood I should use? Pretty would be good and it needs to be fairly strong. I guess the varnish would match the wood? A cheap'ish knife and I am on my way into the unknown.. :)



Who knows where this could take me. Help from this wonderful community muchly appreciated. :)




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor