Paint for plane restoration

lundi 23 février 2015

My boss gave me a pretty nice old Stanley 4 1/2 plane (Aussie made) and I've been giving it a spruce up with the usual rust removal and polish up. Tonight I stripped the paint from the body and am now wondering what to respray it with when I'm done de-rusting and prior to lapping it.



I'm not looking for accurate replication, but I do like the sheen of the original paint, so is there anything from "the usual places" that might be good to use? Or if I choose not to defile it, what IS the replica paint?



I'm also interested to know if there is some sort of recommended primer/rust inhibitor to use as the base coat(s). I'm wondering if a thin coat of Penetroil wiped onto the metal first might be of some benefit.



Once I'm done, the exposed surfaces will be treated well with Camelia oil/wax as per usual.



Edit: Oh yeh, I guess this applies to the body black as well as the red around STANLEY in the lever-cap too.



Ta for the helpies :)




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor