Knurling for those without coolant.

lundi 23 février 2015

On the weekend I had cause to knurl some 1045 approximately 40mm in diameter. Previously I have used Vactra way oil as a lubricant while forming knurls simply because I have probably 15 litres of the stuff. Vactra is reasonably thick and the result of using it is the creation of slurry containing chips. That slurry requires continual removal with a brush to prevent it marring the knurling. Now, Bob "Krisfarm" is an advocate of ATF as a form of coolant and I had a container of Dextron II at hand so I tried it. The transmission fluid is thin and it simply washed the chips away with a resulting extremely crisp cross knurled pattern on the steel. That crisp that I had remove the points with a file. Might be worth a try? Bob.PS For some weird reason I can't punctuate this!




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor