Help drilling into end grain with forstner bits

mardi 24 février 2015

I'm trying to drill into the end grain of some tree branches with a forstner bit and seem to have hit a bit of a wall.



Using a crappy drill press and some carbatec forstner and sawtooth bits (bought forstner first then read that sawtooth was better for end grain). I got through about a dozen without too much issue, going was slow but was managing. But now no matter how much I sharpen the bits I just can't seem to make it past much more than 1mm and i just burn the wood.



Been sharpening constantly but still no luck. I thought perhaps my sharpening was no good but i tried drilling using the next size bit up (which was brand new, never been used) and didn't make it any further.



Size bit im using is 1 5/8" or 41mm.



Attached a picture of what im trying to achieve.



WP_20150224_005.jpg



Does anyone have any tips on a way to make these holes. They don't need to perfect, they just need to look clean from the top and have a flat bottom so the candles sit right.



Cheers,

Monty.


Attached Images






0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor