Wall Hung Tool Cabinet

mercredi 23 décembre 2015

It's my oldest brother (Nick01) 60th birthday this coming Sunday and I really wanted to make him something to help re-enliven his interest in woodwork. He had suffered a major brain aneurysm a little over 10 years ago and has been very incapacitated as a result. He can no longer work at all due to extreme headaches and regular seizures. He is a fine tradesman (carpenter) but has been unable to do anything at all for years. He has recently had a large shed built in his backyard and is slowly setting himself up to get back into woodwork, albeit, slowly.

So.........its's going to be a wall hung tool cabinet. It's dimensions will be 3000(w)x1000(w) with the doors open. 1800(w) x 1000(h) with the doors closed.

Materials: 2.5 sheets of American Oak Veneerboard 2400 x1200x17mm
1 board of really dark American Walnut. 150 x 25 x 2100mm
2 x leather strap handles. (Stained to match the Walnut)
The reasons for using these materials is because I have them left over from previous projects.
I don't intend to complete the interior tool fitments as I'm sure that Nick will have his own ideas and requirements and I figure that it will be a great way for him to get back into it again. I will, of course, be there to help if required.

I start by cutting the edge lipping from Black Walnut. 17 x 3mm. I only have one piece so I need to be a bit careful how I go about it. I think the contrast of the Walnut against the Oak will look nice.

image.jpg
I cut the Veneerboard to rough size and begin edge lipping.
Panels are left oversize as they will need to be recut later with mitres on most edges.
I'm using Titebond III as it dries fast, is strong and dries a natural colour. Any PVA would have done though. Plenty of masking tape holds it down until the glue dries. If you look closely, you'll notice that I leave the ends of the tape unstuck. It makes it much quicker to remove the tape once the glue is dry.

image.jpg
image.jpgA stack of panels edge lipped and sanded.
image.jpgRebates are cut where the Walnut is to return onto the face of the panels.
image.jpgA bit more glueing and taping and the odd clamp and then a bit of cleaning up and sanding smooth.
image.jpgTime to cut mitres on all panels.
image.jpgSince the cabinet is quite large (3metres long when the doors are open), I've decided to reinforce all the mitre joints with biscuits (size 10).
image.jpgGlueing the boxes together can get a little stressful because you need to ensure that 8 mitres are aligned correctly, at the same time, whilst the biscuits are swelling. Being organised before you begin helps. Anyway, a few clamps here and there and some gentle tapping and it's all good.
image.jpgCleaning up as much of the wet glue as you go is a must. Whatever you leave, will be a lot of work to remove later. I couldn't get it all so some scraping and chiseling was required.
image.jpgThis is the centre open section that will house Nick's planes. He has from No.8 Jointer down to the small No.2 Smoother. The centre section measures 600(W)x 1000(h) x 300(d).
Attached Images


Wall Hung Tool Cabinet

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor