Timber sealing (ends) - an observation which leads to a question...

vendredi 30 mai 2014

I've been sealing quite a bit of Spotted Gum after jointing it in the last week (750kgs down to 566kgs). I've been using enamel paint to seal it (because it was there) and I note that on the ends that I have docked with a fine toothed drop saw the paint sits right up on top of the end grain and doesn't soak in at all. This is in complete contrast to the end that are rough cut where it will soak up 2-3 coats, and the first coat gets sucked inside within 15 minutes.



FWIW the Spotty is about half dry (unmetered).



So, it seems to me that there are a couple of things going on here:

1. there is more surface area on a rough cut end

2. the fibres on the rough cut are obviously torn rather than cut which would lead to more exposure of the inside of the fibre for moisture movement.



This leads me to wonder whether or not this cuts both ways for moisture movement?



That is, is it likely that there would be less moisture movement outwards through smooth cut end grain than rough cut, and therefore less likelihood of checking?



Where I'm going here is can I get away with less sealing on a smooth cut board (i.e one thin coat rather than a thick one)?



Sounds logical, but weird stuff happens, and I'm sure you'll all enlighten me :U.



Also, given that the timber is about half way through drying, if unsealed ends haven't checked thus far, is it likely that they won't check from here on?




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor