Is obtaining your engineering supplies getting difficult?

jeudi 29 mai 2014

The thread about the toolmakers hammer was starting to drift badly so I suppose it was time to start another.



The thread on the toolmakers hammer made me realise that engineering stock I could easily obtain then is now getting much harder to obtain. Back in 20l1 ,just three years back and all was good. So much has changed now.



In my neck of the woods ,anyway,it was easy to obtain just about anything in the way of of hobby engineering materials. For me, most of that type of purchasing, came from what I call an engineering emporium, a large warehouse type building set up years ago to cater for the needs of the engineering side of the sugar and then fledgling coal industry.



When I hit Mackay in 1994 I found I could buy anything from pulleys to pumps, and all of the tools and spares and associated minutiae of small items connected with engineering repair and manufacture.



I did not hit my stride until 2007 when I purchased a lathe and purchased most of my turning needs from this business. Again I could buy drill bits ,taps,mill cutter, off the shelves ,no problem.Up to 201l it was Ok then it changed.



Two or three years on and so much has changed.



Solid round bar in copper brass and stainless steel 304 and 316 was available ,I stress was available at that local engineering emporium.One could buy a short length cut off from a selection on the racks.



With the times being what they are ,there are lots of copper ,and brass sections no longer kept in stock as they do not sell much now, so as stock was sold off it, was never replaced.



It is the same all over the shop now, empty spaces on the shelves .Its getting to the point where I now go elsewhere for most items as I know it will be a wasted trip to go there.



I saw part of this coming a couple of years ago and started buying my materials excess to requirements.If I needed 1, I would buy 2. I am now waiting on construction of a 15 x 6 shed to house all my machinery and stock.That can't happen till the concreter gets here and that won't happen until it stops raining every other day.



There are lots of other businesses that sell the run of the mill stuff ,but stuff like brass and copper sections is just exotic for them. I realise times have changed and industry in the main just buys the spares and has them up overnight. Its a shame really as I would spend around $20 a week on average in that shop . That's $20,000 over 20 years and astounds me now when I look back.





How do you blokes fare for your engineering supplies?



Grahame




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor