HELP - Building Squat Rack

mercredi 28 mai 2014

Hi all,



As a rank amateur, I'm no doubt biting off more than I can chew, but here goes.



I've recently started weight lifting at home and to do it safely I really need a squat rack. Commercial versions are a bit expensive so I got to thinking about building one. Its main function is to catch falling weights if the lifter gets stuck halfway through an exercise (mainly squats, but coudl be others too. (See this)



I drew up the design based on a couple I saw online. The high vertical bar is 5 planks wide at the base, the angled ends are where the weight lifting bar would go for myself (highest point) and my wife. If we get stuck in the middle of the squat, or fall, or drop the bar, the horizontal bars are supposed to catch the weight. All wood I am thinking of using is 70 x 35 mm structural pine. I am going to use some solid steel right angle pieces to anchor the main vertical planks to the base, and put bolts through the whole vertical stack all the way up to ensure the stack acts as one piece. The rest will be screwed together using just standard wood screws, maybe some smaller right angle brace pieces for the vertical supports to attach to the base and the catching bar.



I guess the two main concerns I have is whether the vertical stack would support the weight of the resting bar (lets assume up 200 kg), and will the horizontal bars support the weight if it was falling?



More than happy to hear any suggestions for improvements, or suggestions I stop before I kill myself.



Thanks in advance, Clinton



m14.jpgm15.jpg



http://ift.tt/1mGdPib

http://ift.tt/TUwj51


Attached Images






0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor