Burl Backsaw build.

vendredi 30 mai 2014

Hi. Some of you will remember seeing this photo I posted on the toothing plane build.







There was a good reason for selecting this wood to flatten its top face surface. Its being used for my next backsaw build. Now I am reasonably confident that this wood will be stable enough to use as a closed handle. But not enough to risk adding a traditional lambs tongue to the base of the cheek. Instead I have chosen to make this union much more solid in form. The following shows the template shape I came up with. Also shown beside it is the burl handle in its early stages if shaping.







You can see how I applied an inward curve to the bottom of the rail to cheek connection to maximise its potential strength.



I plan to fit a 16" x 3.5" (below the spine) x 0.025 blade, sharpened 13tpi rip tooth.



Will the handle look alright when finished. Too early to tell. New design.



Stewie;




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor