Making up a 3 ball handle

samedi 31 mai 2014

I picked up 3 boxes of blanks (diameter 30, 42 and 75) at the C&A clearance sale. All the nice stuff had too many zeros:~.

P1020338 (Medium).JPG

The question was asked how do you make up a 3 ball handle so armed with one of these blanks (which I think is 1040), I set out to find out.

First, rough out the shape

P1020341 (Medium).JPG

Then put the angle onto the bits in between. Incidentally, someone was asking about oversize ER40 collets. This is what I am using to hold the stock. They work very nicely.

P1020339 (Medium).JPG P1020340 (Medium).JPG

Once the angles are in place, whip out the trusty ball turner and start shaping the balls. The largest ball is only half shaped because there is a chuck in the way...

P1020343 (Medium).JPG

A close up at this stage. The tool in the ball turner is a piece of broken tap ground on an angle, so it leaves a radius in the corners. I find that if it blends it is harder to clean up with the file than if it is left as a step. After cleaning up with the file and polishing with emery it looks more the part.

P1020344 (Medium).JPG P1020346 (Medium).JPG

I then parted off and tried shaping the back of the large ball. I first tried packing it with thin card but the chuck did not like that so I ended up making a split bush with a matching taper that would hold the handle firm enough and concentric enough that I could shape the back end. Even so work was required with the file to get the halves meeting in the middle.

P1020348 (Medium).JPG

The split bush also came in handy for holding the handle blank in the mill while machining the flats on the handle and putting the through hole in.

P1020349 (Medium).JPG

Easier than I thought it would be but it still took several hours. The steel machined very nicely so I'm glad I got it. The other ball handles I've been making are in the J&S thread as that is what they were made for. Anyone know anyone who needs a 3 ball handle? I have a spare.



Michael





0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor