Tabletop - Can I avoid the warp?

lundi 14 décembre 2015

Hello!

Firstly, I did take my time to look through but if this is in the wrong forum area, I apologize and please feel free to move it to somewhere more appropriate.

Context: I am building a very simple table for our very small flat. I am a complete amateur, I have not done woodwork for some 10 years, but I am good with my hands etc and have time on my side for what I think quite straight forward so I have no overwhelming concerns.

Table Specification:
- 80 to 90 cm square (finished dimension).
- 3 prong hairpin legs (pre-drilled for M10 bolt).
- european oak kiln dried (seems easiest hardwood to find and I don't dislike it).
- I was hoping the top would be around 1 1/2 inch thickness (for aesthetics) , but I'd like your input***

***Question on warping, seasonal changes etc

Obviously I want this to last a long time, which is why I'm reaching out here in hope that someone can help me get the fine details right :).

1) Keeping boards 3-4 inch wide is better for the gluing/clamping?
2) Is a dowel/biscuit at all necessary with a strong 90 degree side, good glue and even clamping?
3) If I do a spring joint will I need a breadboard end?
4) I'd like to keep things relatively thin on the top, but what is recommended to help avoid warping? (table thickness)
5) When drilling for the bolts, to attach the legs, should I allow some movement around the bolt (width ways) for seasonal changes? Necessary?
6) Anything else I should be aware of for avoiding warp overtime?

If you have time to share some thoughts, it would be appreciated. Thank you!


Tabletop - Can I avoid the warp?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor