Saw anvils

vendredi 25 décembre 2015

Hello all,

As there has been a bit mentioned in other threads about straightening saws and anvils, I thought I would start a new thread about saw anvils.

There seems to be quite a few of us that end up with a lot of old saws in all conditions, and it is sometimes the ones that have the wonky blades
e.g.. bent, kinked, warped, curved, twisted and s shaped that are the last to be (restored).

I've read a fair bit about saw doctoring from books and the internet, and have had a go at straightening some of the wonky blades that
are at my place with reasonable results in most cases.

There are at least 3 things required for this activity: a (clean) wonky saw, an anvil and a hammer.

The saws I have are numerous and of all shapes, lengths and manufactures.

The (anvil) I have is just a 28" long by 2 3/4" wide piece of rail iron mounted 3' high on a home made stand,
this is how it came for $5 from an auction years ago.

The hammers I have, vary in their head shape and weight.

It was said in another thread by Rob Streeper that the face of the anvil needs to be flat for best results, which makes good sense.

Also the anvil height needs to be suitable so that the hammer face is at the correct angle (flat) when making contact with the blade.

So it looks like I have to get my anvil flat somehow, and check to see that it is at the right height, to help improve my results.

Can anyone else offer some advise or show and tell us of their saw doctoring tools and methods of fixing wonky saws?
Attached Images


Saw anvils

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor