OK, what am I missing?

mardi 22 décembre 2015

Woodpeckers One Time tools - Surely I am not the only one who gets the emails.

I refer as an example to their latest offering. http://ift.tt/1MtA6Jt

Ok its clever in that you can mark out mortises and lay out dowel holes with the same jig. Thats nice.

But, is this following well established principles of woodworking? I don't know how everyone else works but I joint a side, joint an edge at right angles and then make the other side parallel. After that I square up the last face on the tablesaw.

After that, I pick a corner to use as a reference point and then use the side and edge adjacent to that corner to lay out all the joinery, usually the jointed faces, but sometimes grain and defects dictate picking another corner to make best use of the timber for the project.

Now, once we have picked and marked our corners on all the project pieces, all the measurements are made from that reference corner. If you mark out the mortises form the chosen face piece and the tenons from their chosen face pieces, then your joinery will be spot on. :2tsup:

Sooooo, why pay out something close to $500 US plus postage to allow you to centre an invisible joint on your stock? Often I do not want my M&T joints to be centred. :no:

Why would you want dowels to be centered when they can be more affective when placed so that the side that is more under stress from the usage of the object has a bit more "meat" on it?

I can understand the use of a centering tool to lay out dovetails and other visible joints on a box corner for example but why go to all that expense to center a joint that you cannot see and may well be better off not being centred?

Referencing from two faces instead of one can only introduce errors.

Now I am not knocking one time tools per se, in fact I have bought a few of them, but these have been confined to reproductions of traditional tools. They have made some beautiful squares and straight edges, but most of their efforts seem to be around "selling a skill" rather than a tool. They make an over-complicated tool that is supposed to circumvent the need for learning to use a traditional tool the right way.

I would have to go back and check all their previous offerings to be sure but I think this is their first time at not only "selling a skill" but "creating a need for the skill for sale" in that they are trying to make out that dowels and M&T joints are better off being centered on the stock when this is not necessarily so.

am I the only skeptical old bar-steward who thinks like this?

Cheers

Doug


OK, what am I missing?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor