home-brew router table top

vendredi 11 décembre 2015

I'm in the process of building a proper router table top. Well, that's the plan. Except: none of the mdf bits and bobs I have are really totally straight. I have started on an 800x450mm (that is the second one b.t.w.) and sunk the insert into that. Any which way I have a hard time getting the insert flush.

First thing to blame of course is the constancy of the height adjustment on my TR12. Inconstancy I should say .... I reworked the cutout with a chisel ... still oddness that would not go away.

So I started testing: putting the straightedge across the 800mm, there's actually .4mm of sag towards the centre. Well it's not sag, technically speaking, since the sheet is sitting on top of my assembly table so gravity doesn't even enter into it. It's bent.

Test two: I put the straightedge across the insert. Brand new, the black one sold by Carbatec. There's .1mm of air about 1/4 and 3/4 along the long axis going across the centre lengthwise or diagonally. Blimey.

Here's my question #1: short of going aluminium or cast iron: what would you suggest as a better material than laminated/coated mdf?
Question #2: would you even obsess about the 0.1 and the 0.4mm deviations? I am moderately sure I could put some hardwood 3x1 underneath to pull it straighter for what it's worth ... but of course wood moves as well in the long run.
Question #3: and this is only peripheral at this juncture: what's the story with those 'rare earth magnets'? I understand you're supposed to glue them into the base and then adjust the insert with grub screws - but why do they have to be magnets? What's the special effect here? Any kind of washer or screw head should do , shouldn't they? Marketing monkeys at work or something I haven't cottoned on to yet?

Thanks in advance, -Peter


home-brew router table top

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor