GIS - Some random beginner questions

mardi 22 décembre 2015

I've just downloaded the GIS plans and intend to begin a build later this spring after my wife and I relocate our family to the Vancouver WA area. A house with an appropriate-sized garage/shop is already in our house hunting criteria. I've done a good bit of woodworking and finish carpentry over the years so have most if not all the required tools but this will be the first boat.

In any event, after spending hours reading through forum posts and examining the plans I do have a number of questions that I haven't seen answered anywhere.

1. Kits vs scratch. I see several shops offer kits in the US including one in Portland. I'm inclined to go the kit route but am wondering how polished the kits are. Are the goat kits sold in the US CNC machine cut to perfect tolerances like say the Chesapeake Light Craft kits? or the kits just hand lofted and cut same as an amateur might do it and require some finishing and fairing.

2. Transom cutouts for motor mounts. I have seen various goat photos that show a transom cutout for a motor mount but nothing about this in the plans. I will definitely be mounting a small outboard at some point. I am wondering if there is an established dimension for this cutout and if the transom is otherwise the same, or if the entire transom is reshaped. Also, what is the appropriate gauge and type of metal to use for the motor mount. I have seen various different examples on the internet. Does it make a difference depending on the intended motor or is there an appropriate standard cutout size and position that works best?

3. Spacered inwales. Most of the builds I have seen have square inwale spacers. This is what the plans show. But I have seen some on other boats that are half-round cove shaped to produce gently rounded spacer gaps. To my eye this looks better. I have a Bosch router and router table and I imagine it would be relatively simple to set up a jig to cut half-round shapes out of all the inwale spacers. Is this how one does it? Any advice or complications involved with doing this sort of modification?

4. Bow eye. The boat will spend most of its life sitting on a trailer so I'll likely want to be mounting a bow eye for lashing the boat to the trailer. I see no mention of this in the plans. Is there any advice on the correct size, position and stage in construction for mounting a bow eye?

I'm sure I'll come up with a million more questions as this project proceeds, but those are the first ones that come to mind. Thanks guys.


GIS - Some random beginner questions

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor