Ball Turning ( and a probable return to square one.)

lundi 30 juin 2014

Variant22's mention on the weekend of my helix clamps galvanised me into finishing off a couple of replacement parts for two of the clamps I purchased from Greq Q a while back. These clamps had suffered from abuse during their working life, pre GQ, the M10 thread on the bolts had become a reverse buttress.:no: I had made a pair of replacement tee nuts a few months ago and all I needed to do was to turn a pair of radiused spacers that would replace the original radiused bolt heads and enable the use of standard cap screws. Here's a link to some snap shots showing this modification on the first pair of clamps I acquired from Germany - http://ift.tt/1x8AMza The radius on the spacers back them was achieved freehand with a lathe file.



I thought this would be a good opportunity to use the ball turner. It turned out to be an opportunity to discover the shortcomings of my version of the turner. There is very little clearance over the base which means the workpiece must project considerably from the chuck. This severely reduces the usefulness of the tool. A lack of a means to measure the position of the slide had me resorting to the use of a felt tip marker to enable repetition. Adjustable, measurable feed on the slide would also be advantageous.



The greatest problem is the lack of Z clearance. I started looking again at up and over designs. Those incorporating proprietary boring heads are probably better suited to lathes larger than my Hercus 9. I had fiddled around with my 2-ish inch boring head and came to the conclusion there wasn't really enough room - http://ift.tt/1mP4eqF



What has attracted my attention is Michael G's up and over device. Compact but with a pretty generous amount of travel. Could be the inspiration for ball turner No.2. Here's Michael's -



P1020343 (Medium).JPG



BT


Attached Images






0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor