Invisible Dust question....

lundi 28 avril 2014

Given that invisible dust is the microscopic size that it is, and therefore much lighter than visible dust, I wonder if that then means that it is easier to capture by any given suck source?



What I mean is that it would have less inertia (or momentum) than visible particles, and therefore can't be thrown as far from a given dust producing blade.



Or do I have that back to front, maybe even sideways?



This question has arisen from some changes over the last few days to my ducted system off the shop vac (separate thread will follow when complete). One of the things I did was to change the DE on the router table from a single 27mm hose to the shop vac to three hoses leading to a 5" flexxy going to the 2HP Dusty outside. These were:

a new fence which takes a 50mm hose (previously no DE in the fence),

another 50mm hose at what I thought was the main source of dust within the cabinet,

and a 32mm hose coming from the router base DE port (previously 27mm, but with a dopey rubber fitting that takes that 27mm down to 24mm which is then squeezed out of shape, probably effectively reducing the diameter by even more.



I have just run ~5m of MDF across a 5mm roundover bit, and to my great surprise there wasn't a single bit of dust on the router table. I expected a really big improvement, but I didn't expect zero!



So, given my reasoning (or lack of :q) above, it makes me wonder if any of the invisible dust can escape this, when none of the visible does. The suction at the fence port is fierce but it very significantly decreased once I opened the cabinet door (housing the router).



This of course means that the suction of the hose for the inside the cabinet is very diminished when the door is closed. That was backed up by dust still being reasonably present inside the cabinet - no biggie because it is contained, but if I can improve it I will. I need to drill some holes on the opposite wall to get some cross ventilation happening. However, doing this will reduce the fierce suction in the fence, so it will be a bit of experimenting to determine what combo works best. I can always cover over the holes if there are too many. Either that or get a cabling port that can be dialled in. This router table will be replaced in the reasonably near future, so it's a good opportunity to fool around with it.




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor