Threading Wooden Faceplates

mardi 29 avril 2014

I finally scored a 1" x 10tpi (BSF) tap today at a reasonable price, so I can make some wooden faceplates and thread up some vacuum chuck cups for my little lathe.



Unfortunately, though, I only have a 1/2" Jacobs chuck to mount in the tailstock, so can't fit the tap in it.



Probably a silly question, but any tips on how to get the tap to go in perfectly square?



I've never cut a thread in wood before. I was thinking I'd possibly mount the wooden faceplate in my scroll chuck using a waste block, bore a 7/8" hole with a Forstner bit, then remove the faceplate from the lathe and bore a 1" hole in a thick block which I could clamp to the new faceplate to guide the tap, but I thought I'd ask first in case someone has a better method of getting it perfectly square so it doesn't tear out the first threads as it squares up when I'm getting started. (My drill press only has a 1/2" chuck too, so it's no good for this.)



Thanks in advance.




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor