Another Tudor Dollhouse

mardi 29 avril 2014

Some time ago I built a dollhouse which ended up going to my grandson and his wife. When it went out the door SWMBO just about tripped over her bottom lip so in a rash moment I said I would build her another one. After a bit of searching I came across this . . .

Dollhouse.jpg

. . . along with all the instructions at the British Collector’s Club website

http://www.collectors-club-of-great-...Part-1/_ft1190

Not wanting a large house I downloaded all the pages into a Word document and converted all measurements to ‘half-scale’ ie 1:24. In the last couple of months I have commenced building and then realised I had not taken photos nor posted progress – my most humble apologies, especially to ‘Crowie’ who demands full disclosure on all such projects. So I will start now.

TMH0001.JPG TMH0002.JPG

I have constructed the first room (the tavern) and the walls to the ‘Market Place’ and am at the stage of putting in the ceiling beams.



The walls are 3mm or 6mm ply with 2mm x 6mm strips of walnut stained pine. The floors are 2mm x 9mm merbau (I think) recovered from a builders skip. These strips I made myself from boards put through a thicknesser to the largest dimension and then cut into 2mm strips on the tablesaw.



The brickwork is made as individual bricks cut from painted egg cartons . . .

TMH0004.JPG

Top to bottom: raw carton, painted, cut into 3mm strips, cut into 3mm x 10mm bricks.

The chimney will be plastered and the few bricks on it will be left exposed to represent crumbling, distressed plasterwork.



A removable front panel has been built and finished on the outside. The original instructions call for the use of purchased windows but at half-scale I had to make my own using 1mm x 2mm strips for framing. The inside is yet to be done.

TMH0003.JPG

Lighting is via 3mm warm white LEDs and the fireplaces have flashing 5mm red, orange and amber LEDs embedded in the logs. I found an outfit in Tasmania who are web based and supply the 3mm LEDs at 15c each as opposed to the $2.45 I was quoted by the local branch of a National electronics supply place! Anyway, wiring on the side and rear will be hidden by false panels rather than taped over as per the original instructions.



More when I get organised and active.


Attached Images






0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor