A La Snodgrass

samedi 12 décembre 2015

For the last 5 years I was using a rather old Carba-tec 14" bandsaw,I was never really hapPy with it as it was very noisy and had a seemingly underpowered motor at around 3/4HP.
I decided a few months ago to try and find a replacement via Gumtree and Ebay but came up blank finding that there weren't any or they were just too expensive,Ultimately I gave up until I just happened to look on gumtree and found a nice looking Sherwood TBB-14 the price seemed very reasonable at $500 and was only located a 15 minute drive away,so at short notice arranged to go and see it and got the wifey to drive me over.I was more than happy with the machine which was used by a company to cut out plywood rings to support Air-conditioning pipes.They had ultimately bought a $100K CNC machine to do the same job and so the bandsaw was no longer required.
We wrestled it into our van and took it home and sited it where my old bandsaw used to be.

If you are all still awake I will cut to the chase.
I did quick check over the machine and set everything up quite roughly just to check everything was running ok which it was.
Anyway today I reviewed the Snodgrass video on Youtube for a second time before attempting to set my Saw up using his method.
I initially removed the table,via 4 bolts underneath,which was a bit fiddly,as socket set is needed as a spanner just can't access the bolt heads properly.I then slackened off all the the blade bearings,the blade was already correctly tracked with the gullet centred on the wheel.

I soon spotted a problem,the lower bearing block that holds the side bearings once slid froward to position the bearings to sit just behind the gullet of the blade resulted in the whole block sitting right on the lip of the bolts that hold it in place.Unless I was missing something then I could see no solution but to drill and tap 2 M6 holes 10mm or so further forward than the existing ones,that solved the problem.
Everything else seemed to go ok although getting all the bearings spot-on was a bit fiddly,but go there in the end.
I re-fixed the table and tested the cutting,all seems perfect at the moment with no blade drift.
I am quite delighted with the Bandsaw overall.


A La Snodgrass

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor