Dawn 250mm Quick Action vice - QA not disengaging

jeudi 31 juillet 2014

Hi,



My first post... and I have a problem, and hopefully posting it in the right forum... it's a tool and it's hand powered :D.



I bought this vice secondhand and the quick action never seems to disengage. It was pretty easy to disassemble, 7 bolts and it comes apart.



It seems like the spring marked B doesn't hold down the half nut C tight enough to stop the 'quick action'. The entire assembly with the half nut has threads on half of the inside along the length of the sleeve. Apart from the bolts, these are all the parts (pivoting plate was missing from the seller, a known issue). The chrome piece supporting the sleeve assembly is just there to prop the assembly up for the photo.



The scrapes along the screw cover A make it seem like the spring was rubbing against it at some point. When I got the vice, the spring was pointing downwards, as in 180 degrees rotated from where the scrapes are. Turning the handle did nothing, the plates did not move.



Does anyone have this model or similar and can advise on any missing parts or if I am doing something wrong? As it stands, the vice is useless as a vice unless I weld or glue the half nut in place, I'd rather try and return it to the seller first if it is indeed broken (it wasn't a bargain!). I've tried googling till my eyes went googly but there seems to be no info (or even good photos) on this model of vice.



Attachment 321020

Attachment 321021

Attachment 321022



Manufactuer's link: Woodworking Vice, Vices




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor