Essential Tremours

dimanche 27 juillet 2014

I have not been able to turn safely for over a month due to a condition known as 'essential tremours' (Think I spelt it correctly?). Statistically, 1 in 5 males over the age of 50 have or will have the condition, so I am hoping there are some turners who have defeated the condition and still enjoy thier turning.

For those readers who are not familiar with the condition, it is the uncontrollable and involuntary twitching of the muscles - most commonly in the arms and hands. The symptoms are similar to Parkinson's Disease (but not directly related); the major difference is that with Parkinson's Disease the twitching occurs when the muscles are at rest - in essential tremours the twiching occurs when the muscles are in use and is exacerbated by 'stress' associated with attempting fine detail, eg threading a needle or using a shew!! (Trying to control the mouse while editing this post is a real task as the hand is twitching every time I try and position the cursor.)

When turning, the major concern is 'catches' caused by twitches; particularly when turning detail or attempting light finishing cuts to remove tool marks. My last attempt resulted in a major 'digin' which pulled the gouge out of my hand and sent it flying across the garage. No damage to me, the gouge or the shed, but gave the heart rate a good workout and completely demolished the edge of the bowl.:oo::oo:

And some idiot had the cheek to call it an 'essential' tremour!!:no:

Unfortunately the twitching is not something I can control, it does not happen all the time; in fact there may be several days between episodes which may last for only a few minutes or several hours.

I have been looking at some images of captive tool rests designed for deep hollowing and wondering whether something similar could be adapted or some other modification to the tool rest might be of assistance.



I would appreciate any advice or suggestions, but I am not ready for a garage sale just yet:D





Bob




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor