In my quest to make people familiar with Simonds saws these are some I recently acquired, but are as they came with no attention received as yet.
Firstly the No.97 in a 12" version. It has a Beech handle and a blued back. Saw plate is 70mm under the back. Originally this was 14ppi, but right now zero ppi as they have all gone :oo:!
IanW is going to help me with this one, but don't say anything as he doesn't know yet :wink:.
Simonds Back Saws 006.jpgSimonds Back Saws 005.jpg
But wait a moment: That's not a saw this is a saw:
Simonds Back Saws 004.jpg
A No.95, which was Simonds mitre saw range. Apple handle this time. A 26" plate with 24" tooth edge. 4" under the back. There is the light etch of a hardware chain visible as many saws were made in this way for the larger stores.
But if you really want a saw of which Mick Dundee would approve, this is it:
Simonds Back Saws 003.jpg
Another No.95 but 28" with a toothed edge of 26". 5" under the back. The distinctive colour change on both the mitre saw totes is what was called polished edges (I think). The mitre saws are 10ppi and crosscut. I don't think rip would have been a standard offering, but in those days you could request almost anything. To put the sizes into perspective:
Simonds Back Saws 001.jpg
Sorry about the mess in the shed. But I did put a new piece of cardboard on the table as the old bit was all gooey from cleaning up saw plates :).
I don't really collect backsaws, although I recognised I needed a couple ( no I don't need a mitre saw), so I decided they might as well be Simonds. It does mean I will have a brass backed Disston No.5 for sale at some point :).
Very happy to hear any further information as backsaws are not a forte.
Regards
Paul
Firstly the No.97 in a 12" version. It has a Beech handle and a blued back. Saw plate is 70mm under the back. Originally this was 14ppi, but right now zero ppi as they have all gone :oo:!
IanW is going to help me with this one, but don't say anything as he doesn't know yet :wink:.
Simonds Back Saws 006.jpgSimonds Back Saws 005.jpg
But wait a moment: That's not a saw this is a saw:
Simonds Back Saws 004.jpg
A No.95, which was Simonds mitre saw range. Apple handle this time. A 26" plate with 24" tooth edge. 4" under the back. There is the light etch of a hardware chain visible as many saws were made in this way for the larger stores.
But if you really want a saw of which Mick Dundee would approve, this is it:
Simonds Back Saws 003.jpg
Another No.95 but 28" with a toothed edge of 26". 5" under the back. The distinctive colour change on both the mitre saw totes is what was called polished edges (I think). The mitre saws are 10ppi and crosscut. I don't think rip would have been a standard offering, but in those days you could request almost anything. To put the sizes into perspective:
Simonds Back Saws 001.jpg
Sorry about the mess in the shed. But I did put a new piece of cardboard on the table as the old bit was all gooey from cleaning up saw plates :).
I don't really collect backsaws, although I recognised I needed a couple ( no I don't need a mitre saw), so I decided they might as well be Simonds. It does mean I will have a brass backed Disston No.5 for sale at some point :).
Very happy to hear any further information as backsaws are not a forte.
Regards
Paul
0 commentaires:
Enregistrer un commentaire