I've been thinking...

jeudi 1 octobre 2015

With the move to a separate piece of virtual real estate I've been thinking about the structure of the forum. It's a bit spread out and some sections are not really getting much use. With that in mind I would like to suggest a few changes. You may all hate these ideas in which case say so (nicely). On the other hand you may wish to suggest other changes in which case let's here them. If you agree with what is being suggested then please say so. The structure won't be changed unless there is solid support for it so we need to make our thoughts clear (I should point out I haven't run this past any Mods - the first thing they usually say is what do others think, so I'm trying to find out).
I would hope that if we can consolidate a few sub-forums we can get a bit more happening in them; perhaps even generate some more activity. Most of the structure was based on that in WWF but now that we are not co-located we can do a bit of pruning.
Here is a mud map -
Mudmap (Large).jpg
Running through the changes,

  • Metalwork announcements becomes announcements and is moved to Forum and members help
  • The Foundry and The Smithy is consolidated into a single sub forum I've called 'Hot stuff' - mainly to get more of a critical mass
  • I would like to split the main forum (Metalwork forum) into two pieces. One called that (or perhaps General) and one called Metal Projects. The only thing allowed in Metal projects would be projects that have a specific outcome - whether that be restoration, repair or make from new. Everything else would stay in the General forum, so say questions about insert tips are General, but if you are going to show others how you made the holders, that is a metal project.
  • The Hercus area would be split either into General or Metal projects, depending what is being done. They are nice guys really, so there is no reason to keep them in isolation...
  • Trailers and other fabrications I think should be put into Welding - welding and fabrication usually go hand in hand and right now there is a fabulous boat fabrication going on in welding. Lots of the guys there are really knowledgeable on welding too, so it's probably not a bad match
  • School forum - that's a carry over from WWF but I'd like to think if there is a General or Projects section we can cater for that. Do we need it as separate?
  • I'd incorporate the Antique and vintage machinery sub forum into the Metal work forums - it's an orphan and having it where people can see it would probably give it a bit more use. Restorations could go in Projects, more general stuff (photos, film clips, requests for information) could stay under that listing
  • Auto restoration I'd regard as a Metal project and so include it in that sub forum
  • Auto parts I would team with the Marketplace subforums
  • Other stuff/ conversions and calculations. Not sure about that one either. Another carry over but not really all that useful because of the differences between WW and MW. If a pattern is needed it can be either in the General forum or Metal Projects - perhaps as a sticky. Get rid of it?



Anyway, those are my thoughts. The last time I suggested changing things I was called all sorts of things so I'd prefer not to repeat that experience. If it is a bad idea then just say so but I think it has merit and I would like to think that if we consolidate in a smart sort of way it will make the forum easier to navigate and more interesting. It might be easier to moderate too and may attract additional volunteers to moderate (I might even be tempted, tyrannical despot that I am...)

Michael
Attached Images




Read the full thread at metalworkforums.com...


0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor