Brace to id

jeudi 1 octobre 2015

During a major clean-out of my shed, I came across this old brace that I inherited from my father. He'd had it since before I was born, but other than being sure it is >70 years old, I have no other information. At some point, the handle must've had an accident, because when I got it, the old pot had attached a rather crude new one, made out of some unidentifiable hardwood. It was neither pretty nor particularly functional, being rather rough & splintery, so I figured he wouldn't mind if I replaced the handle with something a little more like an original in shape, at least. That meant I needed to replace the cap bun, of course, to keep the wood matched. I didn't feel too bad about discarding the original, which was a pretty damaged bit of heavily-stained (northern hemisphere) Beech - it looks ok from the top, but it has been split & poorly repaired at some stage, and has numerous (loose) screw-holes : Re-wooded brace.jpg

I tried hard to make the handle join invisible - it is ok (accentuated in the pic), but not invisible, as I'd hoped: Handle.jpg

I studied the handles on several other braces & none of them have a join, so I presume the handles are turned in one piece and attached before the final bend was made? Can't see any other way they could have done it.

Can anyone identify the breed of this brace (Boringeoff?)? There is no no legible maker's name or any logo that I can see after a fairly thorough search & moderate cleaning, but maybe the chuck & gears are characteristic enough that a brace afficionado can put a brand on it? Chuck.jpg

The ratchet mechanism is in remarkably good shape, but the jaws are quite worn & don't close all the way. However they close well enough to hold standard bits, so there is plenty of life in the old dog yet....

Cheers,
Attached Images


0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor