Overheating single phase motor

lundi 27 avril 2015

One of the blokes at the mens shed has a table saw he wants converted from 3 to single phase so we bought what we thought was a 2HP used single phase cast iron motor from Gumtree.There was no name plate on the motor and not even a spot where there might have been one which was odd.There was also no terminal box - the power cord just went straight inside the motor.The motor Meggared OK and seemed to run Ok at the sellers place but when I got it home I noticed it was warming up faster than I expected it to and It was also drawing 7.9A just freewheeling which is way more than I would expect from a 2HP motor or even a 3HP motor.Opening up the motor showed the vanes on the fan appeared to be missing/sheared off so I made another fan. I've done this before for an old washing machine motor and that is still running so I guess I had done it right that time.Reassembled everything, lots of air coming out but it still ran hot and the 7.0A was still a worry so I added a run capacitor (40 MFD) from a 2HP motor which dropped the current to 3.9A which is similar to my TS 3HP SP motor when free wheeling.Still runs just a liittle warmer than I would like,I suspect that this is a 3HP motor and if so a 60 MFD run cap may work better than a 40.
Attached Images


0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor