Advice on handling and using Accacia Timber

jeudi 30 avril 2015

We have an Accacia tree that will need to be removed. It had 3 trunks/branches growing from just above ground. One had drooped down and was in the way so I removed it. Now another one has split off fromm the tree and needs removing. As there is not a whole lot left now we have decided to take it all out. It has long narrow leaves (phyllodes I guess) and yellow flowers. Other than that I don't know what species it is.

The timber is a nice deep red brown and has some nice figuring from what I have seen of it. (firewood) Rather than cutting it up for firewood like the previous lot I would like to do something with the timber. There is not a lot so just a few small projects.

One thing I thought of was making cutting boards. Is there any issue with using accacia for these. A clock would be another option.

I would like to know how I should handle the timber. I will be cutting it into sections of similar diameter and slabbing it with a chainsaw. I will probably knock up a tempory mill. Less than metre lengths is all I am likely to get in usable sizes.

After slabbing, what is the best way to deal with it. The reason I am asking this is because of the short lengths. They may be as small as 300-400mm. There is a nice looking trunk base bit left from the last cleanup that is bent sharply, maybe 200mm x 300mm cross section.

Should I rough out before allowing to dry or just let it dry first?

Is it feasible to stack small variable lengths like this for drying as per normal methods. I have lots of imported oak, flat 8mm thick x 50-80mm wide and square 20mm x 20mm to be used as battens for stacking.

I would like suggestions on how people would deal with this themselves and also what things they would use this timber for.

I can provide more specific information on the tree if required. I will look at the pods and see if I can identify it. I dont believe it is a local species.

Dean


0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor