Unconventional Time On Piece

dimanche 10 janvier 2016

Normally the turning aspect of wood working is quick. As an example you enter the shed pick up a piece of wood mount it on the lathe and by the end of the day you have a completed piece.

This was not the case when it came to this piece of camphor laurel. I had a chunk fly off the lathe which would normally mean design opportunity. :U

I originally thought that I could flatted both pieces and glue them back together and then with the slight grain mismatch I could maybe add a veneer between the two pieces. Then I realized that it would be way too hard to hold the chunk of wood flat to get that to match the main piece.

The piece that was left on the lathe was easier to flatted the top and use that as a reference to sand the body. I still had some unevenness on the very edge so I used epoxy mixed with red dye to give it a shadow and act as a filler. The added piece is beech.

It developed a crack and that was also filled with dyed epoxy.

I think this piece took about 8 months to complete as life got in the way. :shrug:

All comment and suggestions are welcome.

IMG_0805.JPG IMG_0806.JPG
IMG_0809.JPG IMG_0807.JPG
Attached Images


Unconventional Time On Piece

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor