Source of creak on new bed

jeudi 3 décembre 2015

Hey guys,

I purchased a bed some months ago, a wooden two piece (king) drawer base from Forty Winks.
Excitement when I came home to see it set up immediately vanished when I got in it.
It made terrible creaking sounds all around. Even just rolling from my side to my back sometimes triggered it.
I made a video of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMnlhBQf2P0
and sent it to them. They agreed that it was not right, the actual manufacturer came out and said they would replace it.
I had zero confidence in the manufacturer now, but Forty Winks assured me it would be sorted out.

Anyway the new bed arrived. I sat on the back corner of the bed, and there was creaking again.
Not too bad, but it was present, and obviously frustrating after being promised otherwise.
So now it's just on one corner - not three corners, it's not as loud as before, and it usually only can happen once every few hours (i.e. it only happens the first time you get in) until it seems to resettle into the previous state, but still this means that twice a day I'm reminded of this sub par workmanship, and frustrating shopping experience.

Anyway, purpose of posting (other than a little rant), is to determine the cause of such a creak. Is it poor quality wood? Poor design or fabrication?
I suspect it's a combination of the two.

The sound propagates from a far head end corner, so a result of the reaction force of the base/foot pushing up on the frame as i sit down.
The following photo is of the problem corner. The screw you can see below is from the attachment of the square base/foot.
That is not a crack line that has been stapled, that is two separate pieces of wood (the left one stops just on the edge of the photo as the draws start there, hence why i could access the inside for this photo), it looks a little suspicious to me, and is in the region of where the sound is coming from. the previous bed was exactly the same, so this is obviously the design.



2-head-left-corner.jpg

Looking upwards at the same corner. I can't help but wonder if the weight transfer from the top horizonatal down to the corner vertical, being offset to the base/foot (use screw as reference), creates a bending moment which results in the creaking.

IMG_20151203_210755836.jpg

Can anyone see any problems with the design, or shed some light as to why it may be creaking, and if there is anything I can do about it?
As much as I'd love to burn it and just sleep on the floor, $1200 is not exactly a throw away item.

Thanks!

Paul
Attached Images


Source of creak on new bed

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor