What chainsaw mill fo me???

vendredi 1 mai 2015

Gday Folks,

First time poster. Ouch! I'm new to the joys of working with wood, thus the very 'green' questions to come. Anyways, I think I want to start doing some chainsaw milling. However, a little context might make it easier for you to give me more specific suggestions.

Located in the Huon Valley area, mixed forest regrowth (40 yrs), 200 to 500 meters elevation, steep in places, some old forestry tracks throughout. Some big trees.

Our first couple projects are :

1. Felling and processing trees that have come up on the old forestry tracks in the last forty years.

2. Starting on a number of building projects, kicking off with a small cabin – as a roof over head.

Our plan is to source as much of the building material as we can (stone, wood, earth) from our block of land.

We are (for the time being) not much interested in a commercial venture looking at profits, efficiency and flow through. Instead more interested in simply producing some quality timber that can be used in all facets of the building process. So I’m guessing I will be using a mill for many years to come for countless projects, but somewhat intermittently.

Not with a lot of experience, SAFETY is high on our list.

A strong desire to ‘keep it simple’ opting for a more traditional approach, avoiding the need to invest in other forestry equipment. Hoping to mill each tree, where it falls.

User : Male 6’ 2” early 40’s.
Easy on the body would be nice.

1. So what chainsaw would you recommend?

2. What size bar do I need?

3. What kind of chainsaw-mill would work best?


Which will give me the best cuts a Rail Mill or Slabbing Mill???

(I like the fact that WESTFORD is made in Australia.)

Where can I learn about ‘hands-on’ chainsaw use and chainsaw milling?

Anyways folks, push me in the right direction, help me make a start on this.

Any suggestions, much appreciated.

Wellspring


0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor