Hollow grind bevel - 200mm or 150mm wheel?

lundi 11 janvier 2016

I've just done a whole bunch of sharpening, and I don't have a grinder yet, so the bevels are generally flat with a micro-bevel.

A question has come up for when I get a grinder so I can do hollow grind bevels. 8" or 6" wheel?

The obvious attraction to 6" is a smaller machine and cheaper to run (esp given that I'll be putting a CBN wheel on it). I had always favoured in 8" grind for some reason, but i did a diagram that shows there is almost nil difference in the two profiles, and in fact a 6" grind would yield a lightly thicker bevel behind the edge (there's not much in it though).

You can see from this diagram. The red line represents where a 30° micro-bevel would be honed onto a 25° hollow grind on the two diameters.






Am I missing something here, or does a 6" wheel yield virtually the same result as an 8" with the added cost advantage (and slightly thicker steel behind the edge)?


Hollow grind bevel - 200mm or 150mm wheel?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor