Gussstahl - Joiners Hammer?

samedi 9 janvier 2016

I've been on the look out for a European Joiner's hammer. I recently saw this old one on ebay. It looked a bit rough and rusty but I really liked the shape and thought it would make a good user so I bought it for AUD $15.50. This is what it looked like.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
It's got a nasty nick out of the 'passenger side' front striking edge. It's a bit hard to see on the photos and is worse, in reality, than I had expected. The handle is Wallaby Ted too and seems too short and too thin for my 'big ballooka' hands.
The simple solution was to start linishing to reshape the head to get rid of the rust pitting, the nicks, and then some polishing to finish it off nicely. I didn't want to loose the hallmark (if that's what it's called), but luckily it is deeply inset and very nice. I don't have any proper machinery for this sort of thing, so I just used my belt linisher with a 120 grit belt. I linisher away keeping the hammer head cool with water throughout the shaping phase.
When I had finished shaping, the sanding belt was Wallaby Ted too, so I loaded it with some polishing compound (the green one - not sure what it's called but it's polish and wax combined in a block about 50 x 50 x 150 - it's for polishing metal but I use it for the final hone on my chisels and plane blades). Anyway, now the blunt sanding belt is a metal polishing belt (all for the same old price). I happily polished away without fuss until I was happy with the finish. I wasn't going for shiny, just neat and tidy as a user.
With the hammer head all sorted, the next step was to make a new handle. It needed to be a bit longer and thicker than what was on it (probably not original). I grabbed an off cut of Crows Ash and shaped a sholdered tenon with a small tenon saw and then chisel. The handle was shaped with an old draw knife given to me recently (never had one before - so much fun & easy to use too). Two wedges from American Black Walnut and then couple of coats of wipe on poly. This is the result, and I'm loving it.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
The 'hallmark' say "VERGISS MIEN NICHT H & S" which translated is "FORGET ME NOT" which is also the name of a flower. Hence the flower logo. I don't know what the "H & S" is?
GUSSTAHL means - Cast Steel in German.
That's all I know. any further info would be appreciated.
An idea of its age would also be good.
Many thanks and best regards.
Pete.
Attached Images


Gussstahl - Joiners Hammer?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor