And the little woman does it again....

dimanche 6 décembre 2015

OK, so here is how it happened. I have been looking around for a small 14" bandsaw to supplement my beast of a 24" bandsaw for some time and in my alerts I see this Universal brand band saw for $180. Right, not top end but suitable for doing curves on smaller wood et al so I forward the alert to the little woman and here is the text conversation that ensues.

Her: Do you want it
Me: yes
Her: Bough it

So I was pretty excited so we arrange to pick it up yesterday morning. Then she added, "I bought the shelves as well, and some chairs". "What!" I say, "Yes they listed shelves and chairs." "No they didn't," "Yes they did!" OK I thought totally confused. Then Saturday morning comes and she starts directing me and I say, this is not the direction, then she says yes it is ... by this time I am thinking I have slipped into a parallel universe.

It transpires that between the time I clicked the "Show all results" link in my email and she clicked the link a second Universal band saw was listed, same model in slightly better condition for $80 which is the one she bought. Oh and within about a km of the one I saw. And they had 4 Brownbuilt steel shelves for $10 each. And they have a set of nice ex-restaurant chairs for $10.

Apart from a few minor repairs it is as good as new.

Bandsaw 14 detail.jpg
Bandsaw 14.jpg

Repairs

  • New throat plate - the old one - Al was pretty beat up. The new one was from an old project box front and is plastic.
  • Thrust bearing siezed, added a drop of oil
  • Upper wear blocks jamed - cleaned and reset
  • Worn blade - pick a new one up from Carbatech Monday after work
  • Lower guides seized and set screw missing - To be done
  • Lower thrust bearing set screw missing - casting broken .... not sure will have to look at that one.
  • Switch broken - replace Safety cutoff works and is used as master switch.


All pretty minor and easily fixed. I did a few test cuts and apart from a worn blade it works like a bought one.

I knew there was a reason I married her!

John
Attached Images


And the little woman does it again....

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor