A resurrection exercise on an old saw

jeudi 3 décembre 2015

Bushmiller very kindly donated me a couple of old saw plates that he thought were past their use-by date as full saws, but might make useful material for the tapered backsaw I said I wanted to have a go at. One saw was a post-WW2 Disston 9 point panel saw (20") with an excrescent handle, which has had few sharpenings, but unfortunately, has had a very severe going-over by Mr. Rust.: 1.jpg

A little while back, someone was asking how to cut the slot in a new handle, to accommodate the curvaceous end of these saws. I haven't ever done one before, but I thought it should be fairly simple with the right approach. Driven by curiosity, I decided to have a go at re-handling this little saw - I reckoned I had nothing to lose however it turned out. I grabbed a scrap of Jarrah that happened to be kicking about, & set-to. No need to go through the obvious bits, so let's cut to the chase, where the slot has to be cut. As you can see, there is a large circular bit to remove at the back of the slot, that no straight hand saw can reach: 2.jpg

So I cut what I could with a backsaw (with a kerf that matched the width of the Disston plate): 3.jpg

I then clamped the blade in position on the outside of the blank and drilled the bolt holes: 4.jpg

Now it's the turn for this weird little saw that I'd cobbled-up for the job: 5.jpg

It works on the pull stroke as you can see, and by using it with a circular stroke, it soon excavated the required circles. In a surprisingly short time, the plate fitted nicely in its slot & I could drop bolts through each hole: 6.jpg

So then it was just a matter of shaping the handle, making some decent bolts, 7.jpg
and whacking it together: 8.jpg

And I owe pmcgee a bit of an apology - I once declared the rusty saw he was trying to restore wasn't worth bothering with. This old girl is as bad as I've ever tried to work on, but the teeth turned out amazingly well: 9.jpg

Cuts ok, too. Since I already have a similar-sized crosscut panel saw, I re-configured this one as a rip. Fifteen strokes in some 30mm Jacaranda showed it cut straight & quickly: 10.jpg

So all in all, an interesting exercise, I think I'll try to clean it up a bit more and it'll be a handy little toolbox saw...
Cheers,
Attached Images


A resurrection exercise on an old saw

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor